Facebook!

Facebook!
Facebook!

tp

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Turkeyneck39 poker family : My father is a very good poker player

Hi all, my name is Branwell, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.



PTP HISTORY - back in 2010 my very good friend Johnathan "FLUBSKY" Pierce suggested I set up an account on PTP in an attempt to get some backing, at the time I was a relative noob to the game and the inner workings of staking etc, after running several successful "BAPS" mostly for Sit n Go's I quickly moved up as far as the amount that I was raising/stakes I was playing, suffice to say I fell in love with the site, it was so cool to post a BAP at night and wake up in the morning with all these funds rolling in, just the fact that so many people took the leap of faith and invested and put that trust in me was really inspiring.


POKER STARTS / MENTORS - Prior to playing poker fulltime I was working as a bike messenger and parttime actor, I took acting very seriously and did several theatre shows and bit parts in short films and bigger films which were shot here in halifax, for those who don't know this is the home of " the trailer park boys " which I had the pleasure of working on several times, it was a real blast..... about 5 years ago FLUBSKY introduced me to the game, he had already been grinding fulltime for a few years and was a great teacher for me, I still have quite a laugh thinking back to when we sat down one day so he could teach me the hand rankings, shortly after I started playing home games, most were super soft and not really knowing what I was doing I still managed to win more often than not just by pure reading abilities, eventually I ended up at some local underground cash games with much tougher players who tore me a new one so to speak, it opened my eyes greatly and forced me to improve at a rapid speed, for about two years it was my main source of income, these games would sometimes run for 2-4 days straight, I guess this is where I built the endurance for grinding long MTT sessions.
   Late 2012 I got my first private backing deal online with "demetri1978", this is when I began to take online poker serious, I  recall how disturbing it was going through my first hand history review with the coach , I was in shock at how terrible I had been playing without even knowing it, mind you coming from a background of live cash to online MTT's is a bit of a transition, needless to say it was the beginning of my making real improvements and really starting to " get it " in terms of what was really going on at the table, at the time I felt like demetri was being really hard on me but in reality he was just super pissed about all the mistakes I was making, i've got to admit that he was right about everything and I credit him with improving my game, I think alot of players are in denial about their abilities and get upset over any kind of criticism, in order to improve you have to set your ego aside and be completely honest with yourself.
    For the last 7-8 months I've been backed by "vedder1980" and i've got to say he is one of the coolest most easy going people I have met through poker, he has taught me the importance of game selection and many other things which have led to vast improvements in my game as well as my most successful year to date in 2013.

BIGGEST CASH - $7800 in the HOT 44, still haven't been able to get over the last hurdle in tourneys with  5 figures or more up top, maybe this year i'm hoping.

FAV GAMES -  deepstack MTT's and pot limit omaha cash games.

POKER DREAMS - just to keep playing fulltime and getting by, working 9-5 never was and never will be for me.

HOBBIES -  I'm an avid cyclist, during the good weather I usually bike anywhere from 60-90 kilometres 4-6 days/week, also enjoy cooking and trying new food, reading and enjoying various different form of arts.



FAMILY SUPPORT  - i'm blessed to have such wonderful and caring parents who have supported me my entire life no matter what endeavor I chose, also my father is a very good poker player who enjoys playing online as well.

FAVORITE PRO AND PTP PLAYER - favorite pro chris "imdanutz" oliver , really enjoy  watching his super aggro style, as for PTPers I like and  respect anyone who works hard and helps others in any way they can on and off the felt.

MOST IMPORTANT THING TO BE GOOD PLAYER - the term "good player" is relative, I mean we are only as good as our last decision, some are more consistent in this than others, a realistic and positive perspective and attitude are key to improving and bringing your best game more often than not, without a healthy environment  and lots of exercise I honestly believe that neither of those two things can be achieved, if your mind isn't right then your game is bound to suffer. 

MESSAGE TO PTP MEMBERS - check your ego and emotions at the door, control the things you  can and don't sweat the other stuff "variance etc" at the end of the day it's just a game which is meant to be enjoyed. Best of luck at the tables everyone! and thank you very much to all who have invested in me from 2010 to date.

1 comment:

  1. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    poker coaching

    ReplyDelete